Championing the Need for Regional Universities
In a time of balancing declining state appropriations with affordable education, four-year regional universities are crucial to rural students getting a college degree. The Regional University System of Oklahoma regents needed a strategy to better inform legislators, higher education policy makers and the general public about the impact and need for regional universities.
- Public relations, messaging and thought leadership for different audiences: legislative (justifying state budget), potential students
- News releases and opinion pieces
- Electronic newsletter: We write and distribute the newsletter to 40,000 RUSO employees, regents and thought leaders
- Crisis communications (most small colleges don’t have that expertise on staff)
- Created a new website with messaging to unite 6 campuses in small communities across the state
- Student success series to highlight achievements at each of the six universities. We have pitched and placed these in the state’s largest newspapers
RUSO regents and leadership report a better communication with policy makers using the recommended tools. The staff at the six universities report a higher satisfaction with RUSO due to increased information shared through the newsletter.
Created to help RUSO illustrate the success of its students, the student success series is gaining traction. It is being used by regents and lobbyists to tell the regional university story and a major newspaper is interested in expanding the series for their readers.